Can you feel the magic in the air as October sweeps in with a crisp breeze and colorful leaves? It’s that time of the year when pumpkins reign supreme, gracing our lattes, pies, and even our ice cream! What ties these fall treats together? You guessed it – the beloved Pumpkin Spice syrup. In this delightful DIY adventure, MOIC is going to show you how to create this liquid gold at home.
Sure, you can easily pick up a bottle of pumpkin spice syrup at your local store, but where’s the fun in that? Crafting your own syrup allows you to tailor the flavors to your liking and enjoy a sense of accomplishment at the end. Plus, you get to impress friends and family with your new syrup making skills! And let’s not forget, it’s an ice cream’s best friend – just imagine drizzling it over a scoop of vanilla bean goodness.
Before we embark on our pumpkin spice adventure, make sure you have these 6 ingredients close by:
- 2/3 cup of light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1.5 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of extra cinnamon (Optional)
- 1/3 cup of pumpkin puree.
Now, let’s dive into the recipe itself. It’s so easy, anyone can master it!
- Begin by placing 1 cup of water in a small saucepan. Add the brown and granulated sugars, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract.
- Place the saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Don’t forget to whisk occasionally! We want that sugar to dissolve and the spices to awaken, infusing their delightful aroma into the syrup – and your home! Let it simmer for about 2 minutes, ensuring all the flavors are blended together
- Next, reduce the heat to low and whisk in the pumpkin puree until your concoction is smooth and oh-so-creamy. Keep a watchful eye; we don’t want it to boil or burn.
- As soon as that creamy blend is achieved, promptly remove it from the heat. A smooth syrup is like a cool breeze on a hot day, and that’s exactly what we’re aiming for.
- The final touch of finesse! Strain your magical mixture through a fine mesh strainer and let it flow into a storage container. Once it cools down, give it a cozy lid, and pop it in the fridge! It’s like preserving a slice of autumn for whenever you need a sweet escape.
The best multi-purpose DIY project
For the next few weeks of fall, this syrup is going to be your best friend when it comes to injecting some seasonal notes into your treats! It goes great as a waffle topping, a spicy addition to your coffee or even something to zhuzh up your next baking project – but here at Museum of Ice Cream, we love it best over some creamy vanilla ice cream! A bottle of this liquid gold also makes for an amazing gift for those you want to share the love with, especially as we gather loved ones close during the coming season!
Pumpkin spice is just one of our favourite flavours, and Museum of Ice cream is actually celebrating Halloween with some limited edition ice cream treats in a very similar vein! Take a peek at our special holiday menu and plan your next sweet fall celebration!